Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Cheesy Kale and Black Bean Pasta

I bought a bag of kale, I'm not entirely sure what possessed me when I was in the salad section, but in to the cart went this big ol' bag of kale. I don't really like kale chips which seems to be everyone's suggestion of what to do with this crap  stuff and I don't particularly like it raw (oh baby I like it raw, oh baby I like it raw.. the song, okay never mind). Born out of necessity was this cheap, quick, healthy-ish, cheesy skillet pasta. THAT TURNED ME ON TO KALE.

Recipe:
1 can black beans (rinsed and dried)
1/2 C. red onion (or whatever kind you have on hand), diced
1 T. oil
3 C. of glorious green kale (washed and ready in bite size pieces)
2 C. bow tie pasta (or again, whatever you have)
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil water and cook pasta as directed. I did this while I was making the kale and onions, so it was done pretty much when that was.

In a medium sized skilled heat oil on medium heat for 2-3 mins, add onion and sauté for 2-3 mins, add in kale and cook down until just wilted, add in black beans, turn off heat and set aside.

Roux:
2 T. butter
1 T. flour
1 C. milk
1 C. cheddar (I always use sharp, I figure more cheese flavor for my buck), shredded
1/2 C Gruyere cheese shredded
1 T. buffalo sauce or hot sauce, whatever you have


In a medium sauce pot (I just used the pasta pot after I drained the pasta) heat butter until melted and add in flour, cook for 1 min ( or until just bubbly), slowly add in milk while whisking together and allow mixture to thicken, add in cheese and cook until combined and desired consistency, if you need to add a little more milk, knock yourself out.

Assemble: Dump it together and eat it out of the skillet.. I may had done this, you can be civilized if you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment